Thursday 8 November 2012

Weight Loss (my story so far)

I’ve always been a “big boned girl” “large lady” “pretty face, shame about the rest” where the comments associated with me. I remember at age 16 my jeans being a size 16, and when those started to get tight, I knew I was in trouble, because the shops that my friends shopped in didn’t go any higher! I’d cry to my mum and she’d say “well, you know what you have to do” But I didn’t and when a few hours later my mum would offer me a cake or something sweet, and I’d accept.

Back then I really didn’t have the knowledge, support or information to help myself that I do now. It was a particular photo of myself around Christmas 2008 that truly was the last straw for me.


Before that I hid in baggy clothes, avoided nights out whenever possible and didn’t go shopping unless I really had too! I had tried a few diets that never lasted more than a few weeks and the weight watchers lady loved telling the whole queue if you were up, down or time of the month!! ((Cringing for my 20 year old self!))

As I write this I’m trying to think back to over the last few years. And the money I’ve spent on trying to buy myself thin!! I could have had all the fat sucked out of me!!!

I think when I was younger I always thought I was a lot bigger than what I was, but at the same time I was taller and wider than all my friends!

2005 -I remember for my 21st party I wore jeans and a top because I couldn’t find a dress to fit me.


2006 - It was a year after this that my mother joined Motivation weight loss clinic with me because she could see that I was struggling and that I needed help. I did loose a stone and felt great. It was a real confidence.

2007 - My best friend asked me to be bridesmaid for her wedding, I was thrilled. The 3 of us (my other best friend and the bride) all joined weightwatchers, it was a weekly outing for us and we were also walking when we weren’t counting our points.
Around the same time I booked a 12 month working holiday to Australia and had visions of myself going off to Oz being slim and gorgeous!
But sadly once we got our dresses and they fitted, I fell back into my old eating habits.
The wedding day came around and the dress fitted.. only just! Its terrible to look at your best friends gorgeous wedding album and only see yourself in a negative way!

Off I went to Thailand and OZ and diets and eating well were the last thing on my mind. It didn’t help I guess that I went with two boys and was happy and well able to eat and drink as much as they did!! (not a good thing, as I now know) but I was on my holidays!! I want to burn every single photo of me from this trip!

2008 - I came home and I’d gained all the weight I’d lost the year previous and then some!! I was settling into a new job and the weight piled on. It was a weekend away in December and THAT PHOTO that made me realize that I had a serious problem that needed to be dealt with or else rather than it being for vanity (which it is for me at the moment) it would be a health issue in later life.


January 2009 – Salsa Slims – this was a 10 week dance class, you were weighed in week one and week ten and the biggest loser won money. They gave you a food diary and the dance class was for one hour every Monday. The rest was up to you. But I guess it brought out the competitive streak in people to win the cash. I lost nothing.


March - 2009 - My friend joined the weight loss clinic that I had been with previously and was doing really well on it. I decided that this is what I would do too.. I joined up, but because I was obese, they put me on a different program to her, which was over seen by a doctor and lasted for 20 weeks. Her program cost her 600e in total, mine was closer to 2,500! We both lost 2.5stone, which is good. For her this was all the weight she needed to loose and she looked amazing. A new woman with a new wardrobe. I was so happy for her, but envious also.


July + 2009 - I joined weight watchers after the 20weeks was up in an effort to keep the weight off me for my approaching holidays
But once the holidays were over, I slipped back into my old habits and the weight crept back on slowly!! (doesn’t it creep up on you sometimes? Or is that the denial speaking!!) 2 stone of it!


Jan 2010 - I was feeling very low, I heard a competition on the radio to win a 12 week program in a personal training gym. I entered the competition. Got to the final 20 and was interviewed. I didn’t win the placement but the gym offered me a discount on joining.


March 2010 – I joined Key to a New You. This was different is everything else I had tried. I had a food plan and diary and weekly weigh in’s but I also had to do 3 x 30min personal training sessions aswell as 2 spinning/ core or circuit classes a week. It was very time consuming. But the results were great. I lost over 2 stone


July 2010 - I was in a bad car accident, I had 5 fractured, so I was out of action for 10 weeks, I managed to maintain my weight for those few weeks. But I found training very difficult and slow afterwards. I left there around Nov 2010.


January 2011 – I knew that after the Christmas break I would need a push, so Christmas week I rang and made my appointment to start with a new private weight loss clinic in January.
The Diet is easy and straight forward. The exercise is 20 minute walk daily. There are no supplements or pills. It’s a lifestyle change, but a realistic one.
I lost 1 stone in the first month of joining. It then took me 6 months to loose the next stone.

Jan - April 2012 I took a break form weekly weigh in's thinking that I could loose weight by myself! But sadly I can't!

April 2012 I went back to my weekly weigh in's and was back to square one weight wise. I had 3 weddings in May/June, so I had to get back to it. Lost just under a stone.

July - October 2012 - I put my back out squating incorrectly! I was out of action for 10 weeks! But 2 phyio sessions and 15 adjustments with a chiropractor has got me back to being able to power walk on the flat!! and 11.5lbs were lost for my holidays.

November 2012 I am still with the same clinic as above. My post holiday weigh in had me up 6lbs.

I like the private weigh in’s and advise. I like how your listened too and your food diary is checked and your given tips and help.

Admittedly I have lost and gained the same stone almost 3 times this year! (sad but true) My body shape has changed with every loss and gain. But I refuse to give up on myself!

I weigh the same today as I did in January 2011, But that’s still 3 stone lighter than what I weighed in March 2009.

I am a repeat offender but I’m also a fighter and I refuse to give up.

I will reveal my numbers on the scale but not just yet.


TODAY:
I’m 28 years old,
Height 5ft 8”
Dress size 18


**I will post some photos also.. I’m in the middle of digging out pic’s of me at all the above times. I think it’ll make it easier if I can provide a visual.

***I also have kept all of my old food diaries and weigh in slips. So I hope to be able to put numbers out there at some stage

6 comments:

  1. Keep us updated please. I love reading your blog. You help to keep me inspired and motivated and hopefully someday I will see great results like you too. And maybe even document it in a blog the way you have done. That's if I find out how to do it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just stumbled across your blog & it sounds just like my weight loss/gain journey! I managed to get down to 85kg a couple of years ago and stayed at that weight up until last November when I fell pregnant. They say the most you should gain during pregnancy is like 13kg... I gained 28! It's now almost 11 weeks since I had my son & I weigh 100kg. You have inspired me to start getting healthy again. So thank you! Keep writing - I can't wait to read more :)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic blog Vicki - very inspirational, I'm SO glad I've come across it. You're very brave being so honest - I applaud you, seriously, fair play. Congrats on your weight loss success so far - I hope you reach all your goals in 2014! Time for me to hop back on the diet train in January too :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good , this is so fantastic to see people who cares about their body and stay healthy ,

    here is one of the best diet a read
    Diet in 30 days !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog! I too am a poster girl for the yo-yo dieting. I lost 40kgs, gained 25kgs back. Am now in the process of trying to lose it again. Looking forward to your next post!
    http://www.healthbeautybuzzy.com/how-to-lose-weight-fast-lose-losing-weight/

    ReplyDelete